During a special event this evening, GungoHo and Square Enix announced a collaboration to bring the Final Fantasy-themed Puzzle & Dragons in-game event to North America. This originally took place for the Japanese version of Puzzle & Dragons in April, and will be available stateside “soon.”
The full list of Final Fantasy characters and equipment (and the games they’re from) featured in the collaboration is below. Click through the image gallery to get a closer look at some of these.
- Final Fantasy: Chaos
- Final Fantasy II: Emperor of Palamecia
- Final Fantasy III: Cloud of Darkness
- Final Fantasy IV: Zeromus
- Final Fantasy V: Gilgamesh and Neo Exdeath
- Final Fantasy VI: Kefka
- Final Fantasy VII: Cloud, Sephiroth, Buster Sword, Masamune, and Fat Chocobo
- Final Fantasy VIII: Squall, Rinoa, Angelo, Gunblade, and Pinwheel
- Final Fantasy IX: Zidane, Vivi, and Mage Masher
- Final Fantasy X: Yuna, Tidus, Tidus’ Brotherhood, and Yuna’s Staff
- Final Fantasy Type-0: Ace
- Final Fantasy Dimensions Series: Aemo, Mootie
- Mobius Final Fantasy: Wol
Final Fantasy hero characters can be found in the Puzzle & Dragons Egg Machine, while the villains are located in a dungeon called Netherworld.
Puzzle and Dragons is a free-to-play match-three puzzle game that is wildly popular in Japan. Gameplay revolves around players commanding a team of monsters to explore dungeons, do battle, and collect treasures. Battles themselves are conducted through a puzzle game similar in style to Bejeweled.
Final Fantasy is not the first major gaming franchise to come to Puzzle & Dragons through a crossover promotion. GungHo and Nintendo previously partnered for a special Super Mario Bros. version of the game, which featured several iconic Mario characters including Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Bowser.