The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is set to release next month on May 19, but will it be worth picking up the game early? We already know Wild Hunt could be over 200 hours long, and that it will include “dynamic beard growth,” but the real deciding factor generally comes down to what you get out of the box and what you get if you pre-order.
Regardless of when you order the game, the standard edition includes quite a bit of content:
- CD with the official soundtrack
- Developer-created “The Witcher Universe: Compendium”
- Physical map of the in-game world
- Set of Witcher 3 stickers
- Protective sleeve
And we’ve seen the $ 150 collector’s edition before, but here’s a quick look at the more expensive box.
And everyone who purchases the game, pre-order or not, will have access to free DLC. The team plans on releasing 16 DLC packs total, with a new bundle available each week after launch. The first is the Temerian Armor Set, which includes horse armor, and a Beard and Hairstyle Set for Geralt.
Preorder from GameStop for an “exclusive Witcher keychain.” The tchotchke will either ship with your game if you order online or be available in store when the game is purchased.
Amazon pre-orders will net you “the Amazon exclusive Witcher comic created by Paul Tobin, with art by Max Bertolini and covers by Joe Querio.” According to the Amazon listing, “This 48-page hardcover comic describes the events preceding the Killing Monsters trailer.”
Best Buy pre-orders get access to the SteelBook case pictured above.
But if you decide to forego physical editions, digital orders come with their own set of pre-order incentives and perks.
The list of perks for the Steam version include:
- 10% off
- An additional 5% off if you own either The Witcher Enhanced Edition or The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
- Digital game soundtrack
- Digital wallpapers
- Digital world map
- Digital artbook
- Digital “artworks”
GOG.com is running a similar digital promotion, but with a few specific additions:
- Everything included in the above Steam version including the 10% discount and additional 5% for previous franchise ownership
- Total of 20% off if you own both The Witcher 1 and 2 and GOG
- Digital download of Neverwinter Nights (available now)
- Digital comics House of Glass and Reasons of State
- Witcher PDF templates for papercraft toy figurines
- Extended soundtrack with four exclusive tracks
- Avatar pics
- A video about the game’s creation and all trailers in 1080p
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt launches on May 19 for PC, Xbox One, and PS4. And for even more information about the game prior to its release, you can read GameSpot’s previous Witcher coverage here.